INS Tanaji

Printer-friendly version

INS Tanaji

Historical Background

INS Tanaji was commissioned on 10 Jul 12 by the Chief of the Naval Staff as Base Depot Ship of Mankhurd Naval Station. Indian Navy had earlier marked its presence in this area with the establishment of Naval Armament Depot (Trombay) during World War II. In the first significant presence of the uniformed personnel in the eastern suburbs of Mumbai, in 1982, the Bureau of Sailors was shifted to the present location. After its humble origin, Mankhurd Naval Station has grown with the number of naval units like Storehouse of Material Organisation, Production centers of Naval Dockyard and then Suraksha Vihar. The commissioning of INS Tanaji was an important milestone in the evolution of Mankhurd Naval Station. 

The name ‘Tanaji’ has a historical importance, carrying on a tradition of naming Indian Naval establishments after great warriors of yore, tales of whom stand bright in the Indian military history. Tanaji was a General in the Maratha army of Shivaji, founder of Maratha Empire in 17th century India. Tanaji Malusare, also known as Simha (Lion), famously known for the battle of Sinhagad in 1670. At Shivaji’s request, he pledged to recapture the fortress of Kondana near Pune. He and his men valiantly recaptured the fort. However, Tanaji lost his life in the battle, and Shivaji renamed the fort from Kondana to Sinhagad in his honour.